Sunday, February 22, 2009

It wasn't broke.... But I fixed it!

When I was working in San Francisco I'd see the bicycle messengers riding around on these odd bicycles.  They only had one gear.  The handle bars were unique.  They often didn't have brakes.  And when they came to intersections they would stop pedaling, the back tire would stop spinning, and they would come skidding to a stop.  Needless to say, my curiosity was peaked.  I had to know more about these bikes.

Turns out this type of bicycle is called a 'Fixed Gear' bike, or a 'Fixie' for short in today's youth vernacular.  They have their roots in bicycle track racing where the tires are bolted to the frame (vs. a quick release lever) and there are no brakes (that way one racer doesn't hit the brakes and take out everyone behind him).  To slow these bikes you simply pedal slower.  But pedal you must, as the back cog is bolted to the back wheel.  If the tire is moving, so are the cranks.

I thought this must be a specialized bicycle that would only be suitable for racing or those crazy enough to ride them in the streets of San Francisco.  It turns out that there is a great reason to train on one in the days when sun light is at a premium:  You cannot stop pedaling.  Thus, the time you spend on your bike is more efficient.  No coasting...  Sure, you can't climb hills as easily (unless you have a big cog in the back, which would preclude you from riding long on the flats...).  But the miles you do put on it you are working for.

I found a great resource here on how to convert an 80's style road bike in to a fixed gear bike.  After much research and hunting on the web, I also found all the parts I needed to do it.  All I needed was a bike...

One evening in late August I was at a dinner party at my neighbor's house.  I was chatting about this unique bicycle with a friend, and he told me he had a Schwinn World Sport bike that was about 20 years old gathering dust in the garage.  If I wanted it, it was mine.

Below are the before and after pictures of this bike.  I pulled off the derailleurs (front and back), as well as the shifters, and cables.  I pulled out my trusty grinder, and ground off the shift cable guides and the rear derailleur hanger.  I completely disassembled the bicycle, and had the frame and forks powder coated in red.  To finish it up I cleaned and repacked the bearings (bottom bracket, headset), cleaned and polished the parts I was reusing (stem, cranks, small chain ring), and flipped over and cut the drop handle bars to create 'bullhorn' style bars.  I reassembled the bike, including installing a new wheelset (specifically for fixed gear bikes), new tires and tubes, new brake levers (I did decide to keep the brakes!) and new brake cables/guides.  A new seat post and saddle wrapped up the build.

Needless to say the build was fun.  When I took it out for it's maiden voyage, I found that the ride is super fun!  A great workout, for sure!  I can't yet ride it backwards.  Nor have I perfected the skid stop.  I won't be taking the brakes off any time soon either.  All in all it is a fun bike.  For a small investment, I have a brand new, old bike.

Thanks again, Aimee and Bill for the Schwinn!

Before:









After:

1 comment: