Monday, April 6, 2009

Diablo

I can see Mt. Diablo from my front door. I look at the mountain as a thing of beauty, as well as a challenge.

One day in the last week or so, I decided to take a trip up to the Ranger Station, which lays about half way to the summit. As I was riding along I felt okay, not strong, but not too bad. I was eating, drinking, etc. I rode up on an older gentleman, I'm guessing in his mid 60's, or early 70's, riding a hybrid bicycle. I said good afternoon, and kept on pedaling.

About 20 minutes later the man rode up to my left hand side. (Keep in mind that I had passed him at a pretty good clip, and I hadn't slowed) He struck up a conversation with me. It turns out that he rides up to the mid point of the mountain 3 or 4 times a week, and to the top at least once a month. He always participates in the New Year's Day ride to the summit, and participates in the annual race to the top in October.

After chatting with me for about 10 minutes, he said goodbye and faded behind me as I kept pedaling up the hill. I made it to the ranger station, and climbed off my bike for a rest before the decent back home. As I filled up my water bottle and had a snack, I reflected on what the man told me. At that moment I decided that I couldn't settle for mid mountain. Not today.

That day I pushed myself and rode, once again, to the summit of Mt. Diablo. This time I used what I learned the first time. I took it easy around 'Devil's Elbow'. I took the time to take in the sights offered by the mountain. The Oakland hills. San Francisco. The Golden Gate Bridge. I had a respect for the last 200 yards (those who have ridden it know what I mean), and I didn't stop on the way up. I made it. On my own. I didn't need a team mate with me. I didn't have to stop and catch my breath. I did it. This time, it was all me.

Thank you, kind sir, for the motivation to keep on pedaling up to the top. For the inspiration to accomplish this task, and for the role model of being able to continue my passion for cycling as long as my legs can make a circle around the cranks. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment