Sunday, April 5, 2009

I'm not really that good at this Blogging stuff yet...

Okay, I know, I know. I haven't updated my blog in a while. Lets be h0nest. I'm racking my brain to figure out what to say on a regular basis! Who really wants to read "I rode my bike today for 20 miles" over and over again. Yes, I've been riding. I've even been accumulating miles. The week before last (the one I missed), I rode about 85 miles, including a 45 mile ride on Saturday. Last week I rode about 115 miles, including a 55 mile ride on Saturday. See, that was easier than trying to regurgitate the whole week.

I do want to talk about yesterday's training ride with Team in Training. We started in Danville and rode out into the canyon. Our pace group of seven was riding strong. We were in a pace line, riding into winds and cross winds, often reaching 25 miles an hour and sustaining it. We all felt great.

To back up a bit, let's talk about how these rides are organized. The 80 or so cyclists included in TNT are split up into pace groups. Each pace group is made up of cyclists of relatively equal ability. I ride in the fastest pace group. Each group also has a coach, matched to the group's ability. Our coach is Dennis Guikema, a former category one racer. His ability on the bicycle is amazing! He can ride circles around even the fastest rider in our group, with one leg.

As we rode down Highland road, just about to turn right on Collier Canyon road, Dennis had the group pull over. He wanted to introduce us to a friend of his. His friend was Patrick Caurant. Patrick was a fellow racer and former teammate of Dennis who was tragically killed during a training ride at this very spot.

For me this was a very powerful moment. One that brought a concern of mine closer to home: the cars are everywhere, and any slip of concentration, judgement, mechanical failure, can lead to tragic results. If that can happen to a semi-professional racer, it can happen to anyone.

I'll continue to ride. To train. I'll keep this story in my heart, to remind me to keep it safe. And I'll do my best to live each day to it's fullest.

Thank you, again, Dennis, for leading us on a great ride. And for introducing us to your friend.

1 comment:

  1. Dave

    Your enthusiam jumps off the page as does your joy of the ride.

    Thanks so much for your comments about Patrick and for helping Dennis
    clean up Pat's memorial site. It will soon be a a painful three years ,
    on July 1, since the fateful accident.

    Your concern for safety is certainly in order and Patrick is always
    present in my mind when I ride- caution for sure but it's balanced with
    the pure joy of effort, exhiliration and peace remembering also when he
    and I rode so happily together. I remember going up Mt. Diablo and as I
    struggled he put his right hand on the saddle and pulled me up a bit, he
    was so strong. He said "Dad, I remember all the times you helped me.
    It's my turn." Great memories of a fantastic young man.

    Having thought long and hard on it, with Highlands/Collier Cyn seared
    into my mind's eye, I think that the greatest risk is not the bicycle
    and not the car or lowbed pick up truck shrouded by the treeline at the
    T, it's the knowing purpose and focus of the self in the saddle at all
    times. That's the challenge.


    Michel J-Y Caurant

    ReplyDelete